Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What's in Your Attic?

It's nearly that time of year to haul out the ol' bucket and mop for spring cleaning. I know. Eew, right? I suspect that the only thing of value I might uncover is a few coins stuck in the couch cushions. Or maybe I'll find that earring I lost awhile ago. But I probably won't unearth anything like a fella over in Scotland recently found.

Eighty-year-old Walter Elliot was nosing around in his attic, rifling through things, and discovered a 48-page booklet he'd forgotten he'd even owned. No wonder. It had been up there for more than fifty years. But what a find . . . the first unseen Sherlock Holmes story since the last was published over eighty years ago.

Sherlock Holmes: Discovering the Border Burghs and, by deduction, the Brig Bazaar is a short story that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote as a means to help build a bridge in the town of Selkirk, Scotland. The bridge was wiped out by a flood in 1902, and in 1904, locals banded together and organized a three-day event to raise funds to rebuild. Part of that event included selling a collection of short stories written by villagers called The Book o' the Brig. Conan Doyle loved visiting the area and agreed to contribute a 1300 word tale for their collection.

Along with a painting of the replaced bridge, the booklet will be on show at the Cross Keys Selkirk Pop-up Community Museum. Is anyone besides me getting a freakish cartoon bubble in their mind for that museum? What the heck is a "Pop-up" Museum? 

Whatever, I think I'll go poke around in my attic and see if I can find anything other than spiders.

6 comments:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Did they say what the article was worth now? It would be cool to know. Not that I have anything like that, but I do have some really old first edition stuff.

Joy said...

I believe I will only find dust in my attic:)

Joy said...

I believe I will only find dust in my attic:)

chappydebbie said...

I don't think I have an "attic".....I live in an apartment and the only think above me is an another apartment. It's my bedroom that needs to be cleaned out.

Michelle Griep said...

Well I've heard-tell that mattresses are notorious for housing stashes of money. Here's hoping!

chappydebbie said...

I wish!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates