Monday, August 13, 2012

The Two Hardest Words

I am so close to finishing my manuscript, the one I started here at Writer Off the Leash in November. I've only got three more chapters to write. They're even mapped out. Yet finding the time to park my rear in a chair and pound them out is next to impossible, and when I do finally sneak off, guess what...

The words just aren't there. Some call it writer's block. I call it fear.

I know. I hear you. "What the flippity-doo-dah are you scared of, girl? Writing the grand finale is the fun part!"

Yes, it is fun, but for me there's a certain amount of trepidation involved. Did I tie up all the loose ends? Is it satisfying enough? Is my ending too abrupt? Too drawn out? Why am I such a freak?

While most authors whiz through this stage of the game, I'm sure there are a few out there like me who wrestle with these demons. I wanted to let you know you're not alone. And you, like me, have to deal with these burning questions because otherwise they'll hide in the corner and grow into monsters large enough to maim.

What to do? There aren't any easy answers, but here's my plan. Write the following 3 bold items on a sticky notepad and fix it to my screen.

This is only a rough draft.
Get it down on paper and then you can change it.

Trust your critique partners.
If your ending is giving off an odor like the rotten potato I found in my kitchen drawer last night, trust that they'll point out the stinky parts.

Write for fun.
Sit down and write for enjoyment instead of for the purpose of writing The End. If you're tense, it'll show.

Feel free to give this a whirl yourself.

And don't worry. Just because the two hardest words for me to write are 'The End', I will persevere and get 'er done. Then it will be party time here at Writer Off the Leash!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged, Michelle! I'm so impressed by your progress on this next novel. I have great faith that the last three chapters will flow onto the page.Editing is the fun part!

Your proud agent,
Barbara

Michelle Griep said...

Aww! Thanks for the nudge forward! I love my agent extraordinaire! And you're so right...editing is the fun part.

joy said...

God luck Michelle. " Write for fun" I need to think about that everytime when my mind is block too:)although I only write post for my blog:)

Southern-fried Fiction said...

For those loose ends, you send me a pdf file, I put it on my iPad and read it as a whole. OR you print it out, spiral bind it and give it to a beta reader. I have 3. It costs me about $30 each to have then printed and bound, but it's worth it. My beta readers get a "galley" and will tell me if I didn't tie up something.

Michelle Griep said...

Yeah, you're point #2 Ane, I TRUST my crit buddies!
And the pdf will be in your inbox soon, dearie.

Brandi Boddie said...

Good tips, Michelle! Reminding myself that it's only a rough draft does take the pressure off to seek perfection.

I like Ane's advice, too. I think I'll try sending my story to my Kindle and see how it reads on that device.

Michelle Griep said...

I hope Santa brings me a Kindle this year for Christmas. Then I can read your upcoming steampunk novella!

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Ah yes. I'm so excited that you're near the end! So close!!! I'm seriously missing the thrill of writing. Still waiting to see if my next book will veer into Viking territory, or if I'll need to change it up and keep revamping the paranormal...or venture into something else altogether.

Graeme Ing said...

So close! How can you pause now? Aren't you raring to get the draft done? The first draft is the hard part. After that you get the fun of editing and polishing, and much less of the "bang out 2000 words tonight."

Think of all your hungry readers waiting for your book. No, maybe that's too much pressure, lol. Just ave fun with it. Your ideas are great! Go with them and know that we're all excited and rooting for you.

English Lady said...

Sorry to break in on an unrealted discussion, but here is the link that you asked me for in your comment on the last post Michelle.

Just click on me name 'MedievalGirl' at the top, and that should take you to my profile. The link will be there under 'my blogs' or alternatively just type crossromance.blogspot.com into your browser.

Michelle Griep said...

Heather & Graeme ~ You guys are the best! Seriously, ya'll look so cute in your cheerleading skirts and shaking those pom pom! You'll be happy to know I finally got in some writing time yesterday and pounded out 1,000 words. Thanks for the encouragement.

Medieval Girl ~ Consider it done, m'dear.

English Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
English Lady said...

Yay! You is my second follower! Do you think that should warrant a special celebratory ceremony, or at least some display of childish exuberance?

Michelle Griep said...

Heck yeah...you should at least whap my shoulders with a sword or something (the flat side, please).

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates