Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Outdated?

freedigitalphotos.net
When I was growing up, way back when Dinosaur Crossing signs were abundant, expiration dates on food hadn't been invented yet. As a result, I tend to ignore most of them today, especially for stupid things like a can of pop (southern translation: soda). Like Coke is going to grow green fuzz inside a vacuum-sealed can? Spare me.

But it got me thinking...do authors have expiration dates? Example: if Jane Austen submitted Pride and Prejudice to a Christian publisher today, would it be accepted as is? I'm guessing not. Currently, tight writing is all the rage, making Austen's verbose descriptions unacceptable. Stamp a big ol' red EXPIRED on top of that manuscript.

It's curious, then, that sales of Austen's books continue to remain steady. What's up with that?

Three words... STORY IS KING!

Not that I'm dissing fantastic writing, but if the story isn't plausible, relatable, and entertaining, great writing isn't going to doll it up enough to sell it. Take that to heart no matter what kind of writing you do, and you'll never expire.

3 comments:

chappydebbie said...

I think that once a book is classified as a classic, it will continue to sell forever. Who doesn't want to own a classic? Especially one in the genre in which you read today. Just my opinion. You can read a classic today and barely understand the dialogue and yet because it IS a classic, you accept it. There are some books that I have tried to read (classics), but I can't get pass the first chapter, because the dialogue is way too confusing. Drives me crazy, because I really do wish to read the classics, yet I don't have the time to re-read sentences over and over again just to understand what two characters are actually saying. I'd name books that confuse me, but frankly once I stopped reading them, I forgot the titles. I think I will mainly stick to reading more recent books from authors I can understand. ;-) So, get busy and finish one that I can read. :-)

Michelle Griep said...

Hah! You think that verbose and convoluted dialogue/writing is maybe a prerequisite for attaining classic status? There are a few I've delved into and wondered what the the world others see in the story. But I figured that was just me.

chappydebbie said...

All I know is that I don't have time to interpret those books.....there are much more interesting stories to read.....doesn't matter to me if it is a classic or not. I read for pleasure, not for aggravation. :-)

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates