Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Getting Stuck on the Perfection Spin Cycle

"You're not in the perfect business. 
Stop pretending that's what the world wants from you."
Perfection causes fear.
Fear causes paralysis.
Paralysis sucks the creativity out of you.
Have you ever been stuck in this crazy spin cycle?

If so, here's the deal . . . there is no perfect writing. Don't even go there. Beating yourself up when you write something because you think other authors could put the words together better than you is a big, fat lie. How can anyone be creative when they're stifled with that kind of pressure?

You don't need to write perfectly. You just need to write. 
Print that out on a sticky note and slap it on your computer.

3 comments:

chappydebbie said...

You got right to the point with this one! And well said, Teach! ;-)

Carrie Lynn Lewis said...

Oh, Michelle! How you've hit a sore spot with me!

You see, my name is Carrie Lynn Lewis and I am a perfectionist when it comes to writing.

I am, in other words, perpetually living the perfection spin cycle!

I wish I had some witty or pithy phrase with which to encourage those who are like me, but I don't.

I also wish I could share a meaningful tip that made all the difference for me, but I've yet to find it.

So far, the things that have worked best is an admonishment similar to the one with which you closed the post.

Just.

Write.

Psalm 119:96 is also helpful when I find myself mired in the need for perfection.

"To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless."

What more need I say?

Glenda said...

Thank you. I needed this. I've been stuck in the Perfectionist Cycle.

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates