Thursday, April 26, 2012

Why I Don't Own A Kindle


I’m one of the rare few who don’t have an iPod or iPhone. I don’t even have cable TV or a KitchenAid. So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that I don’t have an e-reader.

Yet.

I’d probably enjoy a Kindle (or Nook or Sony or whatever). It would save my back muscles from lugging around books in a huge tote every day. Packing would be a lot easier for my upcoming trip to Seattle. But there are several reasons I don’t own an e-reader, and here are the top 3…

Doesn’t Have The Same Dependability
I just found out last night that for some book formats, Kindle can just zap your book gone. Take it back. Wave a magic wand and suddenly you can’t read it anymore. Not that thugs in jackboots couldn’t come into my house and swipe a book off my shelf, but seriously, I think there’s less likelihood of that happening. For a cited example from the New York Times, click here.

And what if an E Bomb does hit? Whammo. End of reading on that that little electronic device, whereas my hard copies will always be ready to crack open.

Doesn’t Have The Same Feel
I’m tactile. I like to hold a book in my hand, fold over the crisp pages into dog ears, hear the thick squidge of a highlighter dragging across paper. And don't even get me started on pressing down sticky notes and flags...love em! While I realize dog-earring and highlighting are possibilities on an e-reader, it just wouldn't be the same touchy-feely experience.

Doesn’t Have The Same Smell
Maybe if they bottled up the unique smell of ink on paper, put it into aerosol format, then added a little dispenser thingee on the e-reader which could squirt some out (like air fresheners in public restrooms), I’d rethink this point.

So, there you have it. My reasons for not owning a Kindle, Nook or Sony Reader. Now if someone were to give me one, say for Mother’s Day or a birthday, perhaps (excessive throat clearing for those to whom a small cough holds meaning), I would certainly think about revamping this list into Why I Own A Kindle.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, love your idea about "ink and paper" scent in bottle form. :-) I don't own a Kindle or Nook either, but I have downloaded a Kindle app on my smartphone (which is like reading on a mini-kindle). I agree that you can't beat real books, but the kindle freebies get me every time. I think I have like 60 e-books worth of free downloads that I have yet to read...

Michelle Griep said...

Ahh, yes, the freebies. That is an enticement!

Anonymous said...

I really struggled with this because I, too, love the smell of books and the feel. I thought I would never want an e-reader. But I did get a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. I have gotten tons of free books. I have decided to be a both/and reader. I read some books on my kindle and still read some "real" books as well. The best of both worlds!
~Melissa

Southern-fried Fiction said...

I'm slightly in-between. I love the ability to have my iPad in my bag or take it on a trip. Like you said, it sure saves room in the old suitcase. But ... I tend to forget which book I was reading, since they all reside in the same "container." So, I have multiple books open and that's not how I read.

Also, I miss the visual of where I am in a book. I realize I can tap the bottom and the page numbers will show on a slide, but it isn't the same. In fact, I don't really use mine as much as I though I would.

Oh well. Maybe when I get an iPhone, I'll give my iPad to the hubs I want the iPhone for the calendar. :o)

Michelle Griep said...

I love the idea of both/and, Melissa! Like I said, kids, Mother's Day, you know...

Michelle Griep said...

Yeah, but you can put Angry Birds on an iPad, girlfriend. Love that game!

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Oooh, I'm with you there, Michelle. However, if I happened to win the Kindle fire in the Books & Such giveaway from my profuse comments in their comment box, I won't stop them...hee.

I love old books! Just traded a brand new copy of Gone w/the Wind with my LIBRARY so I could own their yellow, worn-out paged copy. They might've thought I was a little crazy, but it's a treasure to me (also, it's the first copy of that book I ever read!).

Anyway, the more I get involved in writer circles, the more I want to support fellow Christian fic. writers. It would be uber-easy and fast to buy their books on a Kindle. So I'm not ruling it out. Sounds like you aren't, either! Hee.

Michelle Griep said...

Umm...dare I admit this? Darts sideways glances. I've actually never read Gone With The Wind.

Hey, lemme know if you win the Kindle. Here's hoping!

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Michelle, I can't believe it...actually, I hadn't either, until last year! And I live in Appomattox (the place the Civil War ended! yeah). But I sat there and read straight through it. Much better than the movie...multi-faceted heroine. Don't know whether to love her or hate her. She reminded me of myself, far more than Miss Melanie. Hope you get a chance to read it!

Frances said...

Oh the shame of it. Two of you haven't read Gone With the Wind. tsk tsk.
Now back to e readers. I didn't think I'd ever want one, but I changed my mind. I still love to pick up a real book every now and then, but my kindle is so much easier on my hands and wrists. I have a regular kindle. The kindle fire is heavier so it would defeat my purpose.

Anonymous said...

I like the smell of some books, especially Old musty books- and I think there is something special about having a book to hold in your hands. Ebook format just is not the same.

This whole logging on through wordpress lark is getting irksome:(

Michelle Griep said...

Not sure what Wordpress Lark is but I hear you about the ebook format...definitely NOT the same!

Anonymous said...

'Lark' its an old fashioned British word meaning sort of a game, or amusement- meant tongue in cheek. It is pretty hard I think Im going to get me a blogger account.

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates