Monday, April 23, 2012

A Random Philosophical Rant


"There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. 

Books are well written, or badly written. That is all."
~ Oscar Wilde


So...what do you think? Agree or disagree? Are there some books that are totally immoral? And if so, is there such a creature as Christian fiction to counter such wicked tomes?


Honestly, I've never understood this argument. Seems like a play on words to me. Fiction can't be 'saved' because it's an inanimate object. End of story. But that doesn't mean I read erotica or any other piece of fiction that doesn't showcase and promote Biblical truth. Why?


Because the heart of the matter is the worldview of the author.


And believe me, worldview WILL show through in a book no matter how much you try to diminish it. Whether you're a staunch Christian writing horror or a flaming Wiccan writing a bonnet book, your belief system will shine through your characters, dialogue, and theme no matter how hard you try to write otherwise.


So as I ponder how to make my writing more 'Christian', more glorfying to God, I can think of no better way than to spend more time with Him. Remember when Moses went up the mountain to hang out with God and came down with a zinger of a glow? So much that he basically had to bag his head to be in public because God's glory was so strong upon him?That God Glow, or lack thereof, permeates everything you write. 


Which leads me to believe that if my relationship with God ever takes a backseat to my writing, I seriously doubt it will sparkle and shine.

10 comments:

joy said...

That is really true!If we want to be a bearer of God's light in whatever we do, write or speak or with other people, we need to spend much time with God. I need to be reminded everyday, coz there are so many things that take my quiet time with God.

Michelle Griep said...

If it's any consolation, Joy, I do see God's glow in you and your writing.

M. Saint-Germain said...

I think I'm glowing today. Great post. This is a test to see if I can publish this.

Michelle Griep said...

High-five to you! You commented...yee-haw! Happy to have you here. Stop by anytime.

Unknown said...

You're so right, Michelle. Our writing won't sparkle and shine if we're not deeply rooted in His Word and Presence. Love this. :-)

Ashley Wall said...

So very true! Our writing is just showing what our worldview is, out on the table for everyone to see! Since the beginning, I've always wanted my writing to turn people back to Jesus, as that is the main goal for me!

Michelle Griep said...

Just gotta say...I LOVE your goal, Ashley!

Anonymous said...

I read a series of 'Christian' novels once in which the morality was seriously mixed up.

The Christian characters were only too happy to condone or deem acceptable the promiscous, obscene, immoral and depraved actions of one character - yet would condemn other people for behaving 'dishonorably' towards that character, and horrified by the innocent faux pas of other characters which were tame in comparison with what the first mentioned character did.

To make things even more absurd the character in question themself judged other people's actions 'obscene' but saw nothing amiss with thier own which was far more obscene and improper. Truly odd and very confusing.

Michelle Griep said...

Hmm...this character didn't happened to be named Miss Ima Pharisee, was she?

Anonymous said...

LOL! No she wasnt called that but certainly should have been- that sort of hypocritcal self-righteousness is staggering!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates