"Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They both are fruit, but taste completely different."
~ Stephen King
I will admit, however, to one movie that was better than the book. The 2002 version of The Count of Monte Cristo was way better than Dumas's opium-smoking hero. And I'll also give you that the BBC production of Bleak House brought Dicken's classic to life in the perfect way. Other than that, though, books always trump. Why?
For the very reason today's culture turns to two-hour movies . . . time. When you invest time into the reading of a book, you connect on a deeper level than when you sit through a one-hundred-twenty minute whiz-bang collection of special effects. You experience the emotions of the characters in a way that is deeply personal and it makes a larger imprint on your brain.
Also, you see a character for what he is on the inside, not just the glamorous (or ugly) skin version on a screen. You hear their thoughts, understand their motivations, and see the full scope of how they change throughout the story because of it.
Sure, I still go see movies and plays, but I always make sure to read the book format first. Where do you stand? Feel free to sound off in the comment section.

5 comments:
I prefer books to movies, too. For one thing, they usually are so far apart that the only things they have in common are the title, the names of the characters, and a few of the plot elements.
A physical--an honest-to-goodness-hold-in-my-hands physical book is so much more satisfying than most movies that it's the difference between eating a full course meal and having just a snack.
Books are better and definitely read the book before seeing the movie. Movies leave out so much of the story.
Preach it, sistahs!
You know, I think the only book vs. movie example I have is A Christmas Carol. I really don't watch movies that much, and even less of them are based on books. I personally prefer reading over TV any day of the week, so I would almost always believe that the book is better. The funny part is, I don't care to sit and watch a screen for 2 hours, but I can sit and read for 4 or 5 hours straight, if I have the time. :)
I love reading books and short stories. As previously noted by other commenters the written form of stories allows you to see the thoughts emotions and moral compass of the characters. Most movies these characters are type casted very very badly. Second the writer of the screen plays what to leave their own mark. Thirdly they are out to make money so they rewrite to get a larger audiences instead of giving the fans what they want.
Personaly I think to give a book justice you need to make a mini series to like Pierce Brosnan in Around the World In Eighty Days. If I remember correctly was 4-6 hrs long same as the recent Pride and Prejudice by bbc which is even longer or Andrew Stephens in The Scarlet Pimpernel. One last thing Captain Horatio Hornblower starring Gregory Peck was much better then the book. But books always have a special place in our hearts no matter how good or bad the movie may be.
Post a Comment