Unless a publisher throws me a contract bone that leads in a different direction, I've finally settled down near my water dish with a new story. Well, not exactly new. I started toying around with the idea last year, and actually wrote the first 3 chapters last summer.
Remember all those story choices I gave you last month to pick from in the post Now What? Choice #4 was the overwhelming winner. Here's a brain refresher:
Is independence worth the price of slavery?
It is if your life depends upon it.
On the run from a cruel employer, British governess ELEANOR MORGAN escapes to America, the land of the free. But liberty is hard to come by as an indentured servant, and impossible if she agrees to an even harsher contract—marriage.
SAMUEL HEATH wants a wife, not a governess. The lifestyle of a trapper in the wild is no life for an infant, but neither is abandonment into the arms of strangers. For the sake of his daughter, he decides to marry again, an impossible task because there’s a stigma attached to his name—murderer.
Both Eleanor and Samuel are survivors, accustomed to overcoming trials and hardships, but this time they must face their biggest challenge ever . . .
Love.
So, now that I've started working in earnest on this puppy, I need to come up with a few names. Want to help?
Here are some era appropriate names for the sweet little 14 month old baby who will be the darling of the story. Which one do you like best?
Hannah
Grace
Lucy
Suzannah
I also need to decide on a Cherokee name for my hero. He's a white dude, but he's got a native blood-brother and is beholden to the tribe for saving his life. Here is a picture of Samuel Heath and a list of the names you can choose from for him...
Waya [WAH-ya] (wa-ya): Wolf
Golanv [KO-la-na or GO-la-na] (go-la-nv): Raven
Yunega [yoo-NEH-ga] (Intended for u-ne-ga): White [Yonega is "white man" or "English"]
Yona [YO-na] (yo-na): Bear;
Yanequa [yah-NEH-kwa] (yo-ne-qua, from yo-na e-qua): Big Bear
Here is your assignment, little buddies. . . In the comment section, put down your top pick for the little girl and for Samuel's native name.
Let the voting begin!


18 comments:
Grace and Waya -- no special reason they just sound right
Thanks for the vote, dearie!
Suzannah and Yanequa :)
Thanks for doing your civic duty by voting!
I like Hannah and Ways! I'm so excited for this book! If you need any promoters I would be very happy to help! :)
~Sarah
That makes 2 for Waya, and a complete mix for the baby. Hmm. Thanks for the enthusiasm, Sarah! You bet I'll use you as a promoter.
I like Suzannah and Waya. :) This sounds exciting. You go girl - keep up the good work!
That puts Waya in the lead with 3 and 2 for Suzannah.
I think he looks like a wolf in the picture so I will say Waya. Either Grace or Suzannah is cute for the little girl but I will go with...Grace!
Wowzer... Waya is waya ahead. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Thanks for the vote!
Yer funny!
I say Grace and Yona
FYI....I got your little note in the mail today. Thanks. My daughter is STILL reading the third book...she has two babies and a home business that she runs, so she has little time to read these days. But, she is reading it as fast as she can. Shouldn't be too much longer. :-)
Whoa, that ties Grace and Suzannah with 3 votes apiece. I'll let the voting continue until we have a winner, or else I'll flip a coin.
No worries about the 3rd book. I haven't read the 2nd yet because I just finished up one of the books I have to review and am in the middle of another.
I vote Lucy, Grace, Hannah and Susannah in that order. I also vote for White Man whatever that one was...
Wow. This just keeps getting harder with each vote.
I would choose the name Hannah for the little girl. But would choose Waya for the man, because he will need to be as sly as a wolf to be a part of the tribe. Betting this story will be really good. Maxie
mac262(at)me(dot)com
That's it... Waya winds hands down! Thanks for voting!
And the little girl's name...according to the votes...shall be GRACE.
Way to go... Love both names....
Post a Comment