Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Using Unicorns to Improve Your Writing

The first manuscript I ever wrote was a sweet little rags to riches historical romance. I thought surely it was the next Great American Novel. . . until I sent it off to publishers and received back rejection after rejection with the same complaint.


The writing was too passive.
Huh? What the heck did that mean?

A decade later and with many more manuscripts under my belt, I know the difference between passive and active writing without even thinking about it. How did I become so incredibly wise?

Unicorns.

For handy dandy active writing, simply add in "by unicorns" immediately following a verb as a test. If the sentence makes sense, then it's passive. It if doesn't, bingo! We have a winner.

Example:

She was killed [by unicorns].
Makes sense, right? PASSIVE!

Unicorns killed [by unicorns] her.
Gibberish, eh? ACTIVE!

Yeah. I know. I'm just that awesome. Of course, now you are too. Hey, maybe we should make badges or something?

11 comments:

chappydebbie said...

Haha! That may just come in handy now that I will be helping MaryLu with proofreading from now on. I am currently reading The Ransom.....and it is great! I love the banter between characters.....and Munny? He is Prince Poppycock on paper! LOL (If you don't know who that is, look him up and tell me if he is exactly what you pictured as you read this book.) Anyhoo....thanks for the advice, yet again! ;-)

Michelle Griep said...

Actually, I've had the pleasure of reading/critiquing The Ransom. Currently, I'm no longer speaking to MaryLu because of it. You won't be, either, when you read the last line.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!!! So helpful and fun. Thanks Michelle!

Amber Holcomb said...

Clever! ;) Thanks for the tip!

And I just had to comment because now you have me frightened... Does MaryLu leave us on a cliffhanger??? I'm so excited about The Ransom, but now I want to know what that last line is! Ack!

~Amber

Michelle Griep said...

No, you do NOT want to know what the last line is...or else you won't be on speaking terms with her either.

Michelle Griep said...

Thanks Gwen! Glad to be helpful.

Susan P said...

Oooh last line = no speaking terms? I gotta read it now! LOL. Not to get on MaryLu's bad side, of course. But how can you leave us with that and have us NOT want to know. :) Poor MaryLu, nobody will be talking to her come this summer.

Michelle Griep said...

Poor MaryLu my foot. She asked for it. See if you don't think I'm right after you read it.

chappydebbie said...

Okay, I admit that you had me curious...but I didn't skip ahead. Once I did read that last line, I was like "Oh, I see why Michelle is so upset." I, however, happen to like that last line....quite fitting if you ask me. ;-)

Michelle Griep said...

Heh, heh, heh... not saying I didn't like. Saying I'm SUPER ANGRY I DON'T HAVE NEXT BOOK IN MY HANDS! YES! I AM SHOUTING!

chappydebbie said...

Ouch! Stop shouting....I can hear you all the way over here in California. LOL Seriously, this book was great!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates