![]() |
| Playing the Patriot at Ninety Six, South Carolina |
Two years ago I pitched a story to an editor about an English woman coming to the colonies as an indentured servant. All my stories to this point had been set in England. It's what I know. But at the time, Americana stories were all the rage and what publishers were snapping up. So I figured I'd bring a Brit over here and still get my taste of England a wilder setting.
![]() |
| No Cherokees, just spiders and snakes. |
It sold. Whoda thunk?
That's when I started cramming. I picked up books on the Carolina frontier during the 1770's and read like crazy. I started writing the story with the bits of information I'd picked up. But I figured I'd better pack up my northern derriere and hustle down south to really experience what my heroine would. I've only been here a day, but I've already learned 3 very important facts . . .
#1. There are apparently venomous snakes around here. I didn't happen to see any or you'd have heard the scream tear around the world.
#2. The dirt here is red. Like really. Not kidding. Shouldn't dirt be black?
![]() |
| Orange lichen . . . weird! |
When I get home and get back to work on my story, I'll weave in the dirt and the spider webs. Not sure if I can toss in a snake. They creep me out too much.
So, writers, if you want to add real-life touches to your stories, I highly recommend you visit the areas you're writing about. It's not always possible, but venomous snakes and spiders aside, it's worth it if you can pony up the cash.



1 comments:
Oh, sugar, I could have told y'all stories about our red clay/dirt. It sticks to everything and can dye your carpet. However, it's wonderful for dying a Biblical robe so it isn't stark white. lol
Post a Comment