post by Michelle Griep
Readers are as varied as the shoes in my daughter's closet. Not even kidding. The girl has everything from Uggs to Toms to a pair of flip-flops that are at least seven years old.
Anyway, my point is that people choose favorite books to read based on different criteria, and here are the top three . . .
A sense of place.
This reader seriously needs a vacation but doesn't have the time or moolah to pack up and head to Tahiti. So the next best thing is to pick up a book and escape.
Fresh prose.
This reader is always on the lookout for phrases that sing, wordsmithing that's jaw dropping, a writing style that surprises. This kind of reader doesn't need an escape as much as a literary experience with fascinating word combinations.
Deep emotional journey.
Character connection is what this reader is all about -- so connected that the reader feels like she's the protagonist and lives vicariously through the story.
So, which kind of reader are you? As for me, I'm the fresh prose seeker. I love it when I find an author who bends words into somersaults that make me smile or gasp. Favorites: Travis Thrasher, Ray Bradbury, Lisa Mangum.

1 comments:
I'm a bit of all three...75% A Sense of Taste...20% Deep Emotional Journey and 5% Fresh Prose.
Post a Comment