Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Questions You Shouldn't Ask a Writer

DAY 52

Word Count: 33,424

Sentence of the Day: The words were ashes in his mouth.

When people ask me what I do and I tell them I'm a writer, one of two things generally happens. Either they look at me like they're passing a particularly nasty bit of roadkill, or the floodgates open and I'm bombarded with questions. As a courtesy to the next writer you may come across, here's a list of questions you might want to keep dammed up.

How much money do you make?
Seriously? Do you ask the Wal-Mart greeter how much he makes? How about your proctologist? Ever ask him?

I didn't get around to buying your book yet...don't you have a complimentary copy?
No, I don't. I buy my books just like the rest of the general public. Granted, I get a hefty discount, but still...if I don't buy you a Christmas or birthday present, what makes you think I'll gift you with a book?

When they make a movie of your book, do you think you could get me a part?
Right. Like that's going to happen. And if it did, I'm the one who'll be playing leading lady across from Jim Caviezel, not you (sorry MaryLu).

My life is a story. Will you ghost write it?
Unless your story involves Vikings, knights, castles or perhaps a strapping young nobleman, the answer is no.

Does mental illness run in your family?
Why...does it show?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha! Were you really asked that last question? When people ask me what I do for a living, I hide behind my 19-month-old and say, "I stay home with my son", or "I'm a homemaker." Yeah, I never have the courage to say "writer" 1) because I'm not published yet (which makes the interrogator's eyebrows climb even highter), and 2) because I want to avoid exactly what you're talking about in this post!

Michelle Griep said...

Yeah, I've been asked that, but not necessarily in relation to writing. Your day will come, Gwen, when you get these ridiculous questions flung at you...and then I'll be the one laughing!

Barbara Scott said...

Another hysterical post, Michelle! So true. Now try telling someone that you're an agent.

Michelle Griep said...

You want I should make you up a chart, Barbara?

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates