Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Say What?

One of my critique buddies, Lisa Ludwig, shared some fan-freaking-tastic news with me yesterday. One of her books (No Safe Harbor) was made into an audio book. How cool is that?

Which got me to thinking, if my stories were put into audio format, what would I want my characters to sound like? Should I really wait until that glorious day when my writing is formatted into sound bits before I start thinking about what my characters sound like?

I think not.

When I begin my new story on Nov. 1st, I'm going to really think about voices and choose carefully. How characters sound can be an extension of their personality, giving them more depth.

Here's my writerly challenge of the day...think about one of your character's voices, really think about it. What will you change or add?

5 comments:

Elizabeth Ludwig said...

This is a very good point, Michelle. The main characters sprang to life as I actually listened to their voices for the first time. In one scene, a British woman, and Irish woman, and an American, all conversed together. Now first off, let me just say that I was pretty impressed that the actress reading the book was able to pull off all three accents in the same scene. But secondly, it completely broadened the scope of the book, even for me!

So yes, I'll think about the way my characters sound from now on, even more than I did before!

Michelle Griep said...

Super freaky cool!

chappydebbie said...

I listened to one of Frank Peretti's novels on audio and it was something else! He did the voices for all of his characters, including the women. It was quite entertaining, to say the least. I pray that should your books ever go to audio, that they are done well. :)

Michelle Griep said...

Honestly, I've never listened to an audio book. I love Frank Peretti, though, so that might be a good one to try first, eh?

chappydebbie said...

It was 'This Present Darkness'. He does a good job, it's just funny when he does the women parts because he changes the sound of his voice. :)

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates