Given the choice, I'd rather hang out at a library than pretty much anywhere else. Except in a castle, of course. But come to think of it, usually castles have a library, so nix that.
Anyway, here in Jotunheim, I mean Minnesota, our library system is pretty much your standard white bread. Shelves of books. Nice. Yawn.
And nothing at all like what New York City is about to get: a floating library. Not even kidding. It is housed on space aboard the historic Lilac Museum Steamship, berthed at Pier 25 on the Hudson River, September 6-October 3, 2014.
The main deck is transformed into an outdoor reading lounge. How sweet is that? In their own words:
"The Floating Library intends to recodify how we occupy public spaces by bringing activities that are typically confined within privileged institutional walls--such as reading, writing, researching, questioning and debating--to open space."
Sounds a little fluffy to me, but still, I'd love to go read a book on a ship's deck, how 'bout you?
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I want one!!! Wow, the Big Apple knows how to do libraries! I'll bet they'll have to chase people out at closing time. LOL And those will all be writers.
Oh yeah, would love that!
Well at one point you did have a floating area in your basement when it flooded... Think of all the mold that a floating library would have in years to come.. I'd like a library with a stream flowing through it.. that would be cool. With a duck or two : maybe!
Post a Comment