Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Instead of Moping

I moved in lieu of going to the ACFW Conference (American Christian Fiction Writers) this year. Word of advice...if you're ever faced with that same choice, run--don't walk--to the conference! So here I sit, unpacking box after box in search of my toothbrush, happy with the new house but wishing I could've somehow made it to Dallas. I'm sure I'm not the only one at home without a date on Saturday night, which got me to thinking about...

Things To Do When You're Not at the Conference

  • Brainstorm a new story idea. Who knows...maybe you'll get to pitch it next year.
  • Polish up the manuscript you're currently working on. If you're engrossed in your story, you won't have time to think about all the fun you're missing at the conference.
  • Call up a writer buddy who didn't get to go either and practice pitching to each other just for the heck of it.
  • Splurge on a new craft book. My top 3 suggestions? Plot vs Character by Jeff Gerke, The Plot Whisperer by Martha Alderman, Goal, Motivation and Conflict by Debra Dixon.
  • Watch the live blog post in real time of the Gala Awards Ceremony here
  • Eat chocolate. Heck. Even if you're going to the conference, this is a good idea.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great suggestions, Michelle! I'll be watching the Awards Ceremony, and praying for those there. I've got "Plot vs Character" on my bookshelf, screaming for my attention. Hmmm, maybe I'll break into this weekend. :-)

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Yes, you feel like you're the only writer who WON'T be there, then you realize there's lots of your friends who can't go either. So you commiserate with each other, while cheering on your peeps who COULD make it this year. Our summer move definitely played into my decision not to go, as well.

I would add to just keep blogging, just keep commenting, and keep on getting that platform built in the meantime.

Michelle Griep said...

Gwen ~ Yep. Do yourself a favor and crack open that book. You'll get tons of great ideas.

Heather ~ Excellent advice....platform, platform, platform!

Southern-fried Fiction said...

AND ... we interrupt this blogpost for this announcement ...

if you're and ACFW member, there is a Stay-at-Home conference online. Check on the loop for the info and link to register. It's FREE.

Now back to your regularly scheduled blogpost.

;o) Gonna miss you, girlie. Next year!!

Michelle Griep said...

Really?! SUPER DUPER! I'll have to check that out.

And yes... next year!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates