Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Party Time at Writer Off the Leash

Woo-hoo! It's my one year anniversary today. I started this blog exactly 365 days ago with a weekly following of zero and a daily page view of 2 (thanks Kelly & Ane). Today, however, I've got 37 faithful followers and average about 1200 hits a month. Nothing stellar compared to those in the blogging big leagues, but hey, I think it's a huge victory!

At first I worried about having enough material to write every weekday. You know what? Silly fear. It turns out there's always something to say, and when I lack for material, there's always a quote or fun writing site to recommend. So if you're thinking of starting a blog and have that fear gnawing at the back of your brain, kick it to the curb. You can do this thing!

And in honor of doing this thing, I'm sharing the fun and excitement with you, my faithful readers. I'll enter into a drawing the name of whoever leaves a comment from now until the end of October. On Nov. 1st, I'll draw the lucky winner. The lucky winner of what?

UNDERCURRENT, a timeless tale of honor and sacrifice.

Professor Cassie Larson leads a life her undergrad students hope to attain, until she tumbles into the North Sea and is sucked into a vortex...and a different century. Alarik, son of a Viking chieftain, is blamed for a murder he didn't commit--or did he? He can't remember. On the run, saving a half-drowned foreign woman wasn't in his plan. Ragnar is a converted pagan shunned by many but determined to prove his Cousin Alarik's innocence. He didn't count on falling in love with Cassie or the deadly presence of evil that threatens his village in Alarik's absence.

20 comments:

Scrambled Dregs said...

Awwww. Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tink I'll build you a cake or someting.

millersbran said...

Prizes? Did you say prizes? I think that's my favorite thing I've learned from you -- that prizes are a great thing :) for adults, too. Pick me, pick me!

Unknown said...

Happy Blog anniversary, Michelle! You always have great writing advice, and I love discovering all those websites with you. No need to enter me into the drawing, since I already have a copy. ;-)

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Happy anniversary, girl! Michael Hyatt talked about his blog and I don't think he was doing much better at the end of his first year. :) I'm proud of you!

Michelle Griep said...

Alrighty Jan...your name is officially in the hat.
Hey Gwen...you could always give a signed copy away as a Christmas gift, y'know?
Thanks Ane!

Savannah said...

Woot!

Michelle Griep said...

Glad you could join the party, Savannah!

chappydebbie said...

Michelle, this book really sounds great. I would so love to win a copy. Please enter me into your drawing. Happy Anniversary to you and I pray that next year at this time you will be celebrating much, much bigger numbers! God bless.
debsbunch5@jesusanswers.com

Michelle Griep said...

You betcha, Debbie! Your name is in the hat. Hmm. I suppose I should buy a hat for the occasion, eh?

English Lady said...

Happy Anniversary, I rather know how it feels with no followers and few views. I got mostly spam comments on my Wordpress blog if I recall for some time, and my blogger one- well the viewing figures for that can be disappointing.

Nice to have you and the other two followers though-- people to read my posts (rants)!

The Gatekeeper said...

Party Party!!! Congrats. Hey Michelle can I interview you for my blog? http://gtargirls.blogspot.com

Kara said...

Yay Michelle, congrats on your blogoversary and still going strong! I think your numbers are very good considering how busy you've been and you still find the time for these wonderful posts; you're sooo creative and always encouraging the rest of us :) Please don't enter me in "the hat" just wanted to extend my congrats and high fives to you :) Big time hugs and blessings!

Michelle Griep said...

Hey Medieval Girl ~ Great reminder for me to pop over to your blog.

Yo Gatekeeper ~ You betcha! Fling me some questions at michellegriep@gmaildotcom

Aww Kara ~ You're such a sweetie!

RD-RC said...

Congrats' girl -- this has been a big year for you and I'm sure the next year will be even better...

Graeme Ing said...

Happy blog birthday! Congrats. Great first year with better to come I'm sure. Skip me from the drawing for Undercurrent because I've read it. Everyone else - be sure to enter because this is a superb 5-star book. Wonderful read.

Michelle Griep said...

Thanks RD & Graeme!

English Lady said...

OK obscure question time- what do runes at the front of 'Undercurrent' mean? Also, did you know that runes seem to be sometimes seem to have associated with magic in pagan religions?

Michelle Griep said...

Followed by obscure answer time...

The runes decorating the book were not chosen by me, but by my publisher. Honestly, I don't know their meaning. Could I look it up and figure it out? Sure. Have I? Nope. Life got in the way of fun pursuits like that.

You are correct that pagans have and still use runes as a means of divination. So yes, I am aware it's a somewhat controversial adornment for the pages of a Christian book. But that's not their only use.

In their simplest form, runes are the written alphabet (and I use that term loosely), of an early Germanic language and is most commonly called the Futhark. Besides magic, runes were used as a means of communication. Most often it was used simply for marking a sword or personal belonging to identify the owner. Here's a link to learn more: http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/

And just a bit of trivia:
The Old Norse on the first page is a dedication of the book to the mighty warrior of my soul, Jesus.

English Lady said...

Thanks for the obscure answer... I knew something about them being used as a form if writing- and I have a Lecturer who teaches Old Norse-and I think he can read runes- so I could always ask him what they mean.

I think modern pagans sometimes have a way of appropriating things which do not belong to them, but I think there are some ancient connections with runes.

I have started reading the book by the way onto page 40 something- that disappearing peddler in the gift shop was just weird.

Michelle Griep said...

Hey...that'd be super cool if your prof could translate those runes!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates