Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Huh...Maybe I'm Not a Freak After All

Once I'm finished with a rough draft of a manuscript, the next step I take is to apply critiques I've received from my 4 best critters. Nothing weird about that. This is what most writers do. Here's where I differ...

I print the thing out, the whole thing, then stock up on red pens and read through the entire hard copy. Not too many writers do this anymore. I simply like the feel of a red pen in my hand (and editing is my favorite stage of the game), but I have been told I'm a luddite for doing this. And to that I say...

Luddites of the world, UNITE!


There was a great post over at Lifehacker yesterday affirming that this practice is a great way to edit your own work. They went so far as to say:
"As any writer or editor will tell you, critiquing someone else's work is much easier than deconstructing your own, because outside eyes bring a fresh perspective. To approach your own work critically, you need to simulate this "outsider" perspective by viewing it in a form other than the one you wrote it in."
So to all you naysayers out there who called me a neanderthal, I humbly say, "Na-na-na-boo-boo."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No, I think you have the right idea. I tend to edit as I go along, and this can make a first draft take forever. I really need to stop and just let the first draft be a first draft. If I ever do finish my current draft, I might try your red pen edit and see what happens. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am with you. Although I have only written one manuscript I printed it all and went through it with my red pen. So if you're weird than I must be too:)

-Melissa

~sharyn said...

(I posted this earlier but it doesn't seem to be here so my apologies if it turns up as a repeat.)

I agree, Michelle! As soon as I finish my current draft of edits, I plan to save a second copy, turn it to the landscape view, put it all in two columns & drop the line spacing to one, then print it out on both sides & read/edit it like an actual book. Or as close to that as possible. Can't wait!

chappydebbie said...

I co-wrote a devotional with MaryLu Tyndall (yet to get published) and while writing it, I began printing out each devotion on paper. I even started keeping a copy for MaryLu. When she informed me that everything is done by computer these days, it totally blew me away. I like the thought of a mile high stack of papers that would one day be a novel or devotional...whatever. Doesn't that make it seem more real to you writers? Just typing everything on a computer and never seeing it on paper seems like you are missing out on something. Yes, not printing it out saves on paper and ink and time, but I still think it takes away from the writing process. Just my opinion. I have copies of most of our devotions printed out, to read now and then without having to get out my computer to see them. Prayerfully, it will be published one day and all I will have to do is grab the book. :)

Graeme Ing said...

You are certainly not a freak. :) I adore marking up my manuscript in red ink. It's so freeing to make as many edits as I care to, only hoping I can figure them out when I eventually get back to the keyboard. I usually only do this once though, after the 2nd draft, when I feel the scene skeleton is pretty locked in. Though sometimes my red pen thinks differently. ;)

Michelle Griep said...

Wow! I had no idea I wasn't the last of the dinosaurs. I think we should all celebrate by going out and buying new red Pilot G3's (my pen of choice).

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates