DAY 57Word Count: 36,047
Sentence of the Day: How would he explain to a maid why he crouched like an overgrown bird behind his employer's desk while clutching the man's strongbox?
Writing is scary. It's baring your soul to the world, and as a result, opening yourself up to criticism that can sting. But isn't every monumental task scary at first?
Here's what blogger Seth Godin has to say:
"If you're afraid of something, of putting yourself out there,
of creating a kind of connection or a promise,
that's a clue that you're on the right track.
Go, do that."
And you know what? He's absolutely right. That being said, now's the time to do a self inventory about what creeps you out the most in the writing world. Is it submitting a proposal? Starting a blog? Joining a new social media site? Speaking at a writer's group?
Yes, there is a chance you might fail, and fail spectacularly, but does failure always mean defeat? Nope. I suggest that the definition of failure (lack of success) should be changed to an opportunity to try again.
Fear is debilitating. It will cripple you faster than a high dive onto cement pavement. But guess what? It's a handicap that's completely avoidable as long as you tuck this verse in your back pocket and whip it out every time you feel a shiver skittering up your spine...
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you.
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10
So go for it. Whatever fear that's keeping you hiding under the covers just isn't worth the sweat it creates.
5 comments:
I agree! And I also remember the Scripture about God not giving us a spirit of fear but of strength and a sound mind. Of course, a sound mind might be a little iffy with me, but definitely shows that the Lord has a sense of humor.
Hah! You got that right, buddy!
Criticism is definately my scary monster, and a part of me is glad that I haven't met up with him yet. Which is amazing considering that I've blogged an entire first draft...I think people were just being nice. Even my critique partner is going easy on me.
Am I blessed to have avoided criticism? I don't think so. Criticism helps us grow and learn as writers, and I know I'm missing out on some helpful feedback. So sometimes I find myself wishing that scary monster would come around. I know I'll finally have my chance to meet him when I read what the judges had to say about my Genesis submission. And you know? I'm kinda looking forward to it.
Be careful what you wish for, little girl! My crit partners call me Ghengis Griep because I'm ruthless when it comes to critiquing. When you're feeling brave enough to face that particular monster, I'd be happy to oblige and bleed red all over your first chapter...cue evil laughter.
Really? I'd love to have my first chapter critiqued by Ghengis Griep! And no, I'm not afraid of your evil laugh or criticism -- maybe because we're friends and I know your criticism would come from a desire to help make my story better. Email me at gwen[dot]gage[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll send you something. :-)
Post a Comment