Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pariah, Piranha, or Self-Pubber?

When I first dipped my toe in the publishing pond, the second I considered self-publishing, a big bitey piranha surfaced and sunk his fangs into my flesh. Self-publishing was not only a distinct no-no, but a shun-worthy faux pas that earned you a one-way ticket to Nowheresville. In short, you were a pariah.

My, how the winds have changed.

Nowadays, self-pubbers are as prolific as the panhandlers on pretty much every corner in my neighborhood. It's no longer a stigma. Even big name authors are self-pubbing on the side. And since all the trendy kids are doing it, should I cave in to peer pressure and give it a whirl myself?
For the first time, I'm seriously considering it, but I've got a whole lot of questions that need to get answered first...

Isn't it time consuming to figure out?
Do you have to be technologically savvy?
How much money do you have to invest?
How does a self-pubbed book get noticed in the ocean of new books flooding Amazon?

And those are just a few. I'll be nosing around, finding out answers, and if it's feasible...who knows. I just might add a publishing hat to my collection.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd be interested in what you learn, Michelle. Self-publishing is something I've considered for my time travel, but since time travel seems to have a foot in the door with CBA presently, I'm still knocking on agent/publisher doors. :-) Praying for God to guide you. Blessings my friend!

Amber Holcomb said...

Well, you know I'd love to see you come over to the dark side, haha! ;) (Especially if that means we'll get a sequel to Undercurrent!!!) But seriously, I think there are pros and cons to all the different publishing avenues, and I know there are different things to take into consideration when you've already been traditionally published...

You do already have a platform, and you have connections that can help you navigate the self-pubbing waters, so you wouldn't be alone and tossed about like a flotsam in the sea! That's something, anyway. ;)

I share some of my thoughts on self-pubbing in this interview, if you're interested! It does take a certain amount of investment, but it doesn't necessarily have to break the bank!

I'm certainly not an expert in the field, but I'd be happy to share what I know from my experiences so far. :)

~Amber

chappydebbie said...

Praying God leads you straight and true. I have heard that self-publishing is on the rise.

Michelle Griep said...

Gwen ~ I'd LOVE to see your time travel get published, self or traditional. Doesn't matter to me.

Amber ~ I knew you'd be a wealth of info about self-pubbing and I do intend on picking your brain. If that freaks you out, wear a helmet.

Debbie ~ As always, thanks for the prayers.

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Yes. Yes and yes. I don't know what I'm saying yes to...but you can do it. I'm finding that the key is to have a platform in place, a well-edited book, cover art that can compete w/traditionally pubbed cover art, and you have to work your hiney off for months on end. You are your own marketing machine, which is good and bad. Good in that you control everything, from WHEN you're pubbing to where you want to get your book out to (for me, it'll be Viking museums, among other places, when I do hard copies). It can be bad in that you need to have connections to tap into for endorsements/influencers, etc. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't been out on submission so long and worked nonstop on platform during that time. But if you make your mind up to do it right, no excuses, you CAN do it. And it's SO REWARDING. And techie stuff--yes, you have to learn a lot. But there are always author friends or other friends who are gifted with things like that and can help.

In the end, YES YOU CAN!!!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates