While I was at the ACFW Conference a week or so ago (yeah, I'm still banging on that drum), I pitched an idea to an editor for a historical I've got floating around in my grey matter. She smiled politely and even nodded in the right places, but she didn't go for it. The problem with my story is that there's not one Amish character in the dang thing, and besides Yoders and lots of cows getting milked, the only other kind of historical they're acquiring is prairie romance...which is basically the same thing but with tall grass.
But that didn't stop me. I knew this particular publisher was also looking for contemporaries with humor and mystery, so I pulled out a story I've been working on with a buddy. It's a wacky crime solving tale with 2 widowed sisters-in-law who live in a retirement community. The editor smiled and nodded, then asked me which genre I wanted to write in, historical or contemporary? Serious or humorous?
Ummm....all of the above?
Let's just say that appointment went on a non-stop trip to Nowheresville. It did, however, force me to revisit my stance on the issue of writing in only one genre.
Question: Does a writer have to write in one genre only?
Answer: No
Did I seriously say that out loud? Yep, and I do so knowing such a view goes against what most every agent and editor will tell you.
Question: Who in the bleepity-bleep do I think I am disagreeing with the all-powerful and wise publishing professionals?
Answer: A Big Nobody
But (and I've always got a big but) that doesn't mean I can't hold a differing opinion. The thing about writing in two genres (and I don't advocate writing in many more than that) is if you have a passion, why restrict your storytelling to a particular box?
Oh, I know. It's a marketing nightmare. It makes branding nearly impossible. Readers won't know what to expect. Blah, blah, loud and obnoxious raspberry noise.
Call me schizophrenic (go ahead, I've been called worse) but I honestly do have a passion for each of these stories even though one is set in the pre-revolutionary war era and the other is modern day. I thought I'd solved this dilemma by writing time travel, which encompasses any time period. It was a great idea literally speaking, but money-making wise, not so much.
Question: So as I sit down to write today, what story should I work on?
Answer: Umm. Yeah. Great question.
Maybe I'll just crawl back into my Regency pigeon hole and nest for the winter.
Monday, September 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Talk about a tough experience. Keep writing what you love, Michelle. There's never been a better time to be a writer. We have so many options available to us when it comes to publishing. But most importantly, there is a market for your stories. I enjoyed your time-travel novel Undercurrent, and A Heart Deceived is on my TBR list. For what it's worth, I love reading stories that reflect real depth and emotion, that aren't afraid to tackle meaty issues. That's what your books do. I understand there is a large Christian market for Amish romances, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't read and write what we love as well.
Thanks Brandi! You're always so encouraging!
Michelle my girl... just get that book written, I'm waiting to read it.. I think one of your books needs a little humor and suspense. Your humor needs to come out and this would be a good time to let it loose..
Write from your heart. You are good anyway. Waiting already for your next book:)
I agree with RD-RC, flex those humor writing muscles. If we try to write to what they're looking for now we'll be way behind the curve. Only God knows what's up next with publishing!
Okay, girls...I've got a few articles to get written first, and then I'll let Fern & Zula off their literary leash and let 'em roam free in storyland.
Get busy on those articles and then you "go girl"... I also agree with Edie Melson - Only God knows what's up next... And Flex those humor muscles... I know you can do it.. Don't forget you are invited to come here for research anytime...
This post comes close to home for me, Michelle. I'm struggling with the same things. I debuted in fantasy but that's not all I'm about as a writer. I have a real passion for Western historicals, but it doesn't end there. Romantic suspense also infuses everything I write. Three genres? If I can write three books a year, maybe. But these days providing a book a year doesn't make you as competitive as it used to, so I'm rethinking things, too. It's all about the readers and keeping them satisfied. Every new genre also involves (a lot) more work to establish a platform. With the help of a publicist, I developed an overarching brand that would allow me to write in multiple genres, but I'm conidering narrowing to two genres. This goes against what I've thought in the past, but building a readership for one genre at a time conserves your resources and gets you further than trying to build them simultaneously. As we each sort this out, we should compare notes.
Wow. I must say that I do thoroughly enjoy your humor, Michelle, so not matter what genre you write in next, make sure you add in some of your humor. Maybe you should write about an author who is being haunted by the characters from her various books. Or instead of bringing someone from the present into the past, bring someone from the past into the present. Oh my, my mind is spinning...I better hush now.
no matter....not 'not matter'....ugh!
Janalyn ~ I think you can safely incorporate your romantic suspense into either western or fantasy, making it technically 2 genres. And I agree, we should definitely compare notes!
Chaplain ~ Don't worry. No matter what genre, my humor will definitely leak out. Hmm. Wonder if there's a feminine hygiene product for that? Eew. Sorry. TMI.
Post a Comment