Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tidbit: Motivation

Last week I ran away to Iowa and conferred with my partner in crime, Kelly Klepfer, on the mystery we're writing. Our goal is to finish by the end of November. Can we do it, folks? Time will tell!

So today's Tidbit focus is on creating a detective. Our hero is Detective Jared Flynn. Want to vote on which picture we should use as his model?

Choice #1?

Or Choice #2?

Make your selection in the comment section.

Now then, looks aside, the most key element in a detective is what makes him tick. What is his motivation to solve the crime? Why should he go after your killer instead of kicking back with a take-out pizza and Netflix? Something needs to make your detective decide to risk his life to capture a murderer.

Whatever it is should be a combo of past and present. An event in your hero's life caused him to choose to become a detective. Mix that in with the events that are currently going on in his life to trigger him into action. If you fail to do this, you won't have a believable character, savvy?

Motivation is a must have. Nail it down before you even begin writing a story and you'll save yourself a lot of grief later.

11 comments:

Southern-fried Fiction said...

Definitely choice 2, because Fern and Zula would never go for the hair on #1. They'd be after him to get a haircut.

Michelle Griep said...

You're the first vote. Thanks for weighing in!

RD-RC said...

Definitely choice 2 - It's the hair - number 1 needs to at least comb his hair.

Amber Holcomb said...

Well, I really like the look of Choice #1 - quite brooding/handsome. ;) It just feels more passionate than Choice #2 (maybe the shadowing/wildness?).

But I'm not opposed to Choice #2, either... Both are very nice. ;)

~Amber

Lis said...

Is it the same guy? I like the look of #2 as a detective...but #1 when he's pining over a woman.

Scrambled Dregs said...

Would it help to know that the ladies see evidence that he needs a wife? How about number two with a few rough edges? And a touch of brooding...?

Scrambled Dregs said...

what have you told your blog about me? It always has to check and make sure I'm human. : (.

chappydebbie said...

#2 would be my choice....the first one is too.....I don't know, he is too something. #2 looks like a Jared, doesn't he? It would help to know a little bit more about him. :-)
@Kelly: Hahaha! None of us are safe from proving that we are not robots. I wonder what would happen if we kept getting it wrong?

Michelle Griep said...

So what if we went with #1 as his first look, but then Fern & Zula work their magic and whip him into #2?

Scrambled Dregs said...

Chaplaindebbie. That's exactly why I don't comment very often. Good grief, there are days I just can't muster the proof I am what I am! HaHa. Michelle, that's a great idea... except he won't maybe be the bedroom dreamy eyes so much...more sloppy but dreamy?

chappydebbie said...

This book sounds so intriguing.....get it finished already!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates