Last night I attended an author fair and sold 4 books. Not a killing, by any stretch, but not skunked, either. And not bad for sitting there for only an hour.
I noticed that most people are hesitant to approach a table with a nerd sitting behind it. Yes, writers are nerds, though I'm not entirely sure which grouping should take offense.
To defeat that table-approaching fear, I put out bowls of Hershey Kisses as bait. Unfortunately, that worked all too well. One lady kept swooping in and out, snagging Kiss after Kiss. She did not buy a single book. She didn't even hover long enough for me to tell her to knock it off.
Of the several authors that were there, a few of them didn't bother to bring a tablecloth. They simply plopped their books right down on the ol' white plastic folding table. They didn't get as many shoppers. Note to self: keep the Hershey Kisses at home next time. Tablecloth bait works just as well as chocolate.
It's interesting to explain your book to a prospective buyer, especially after they've asked about it, and then receive an entire discourse on how you could've improved the plot. Or how their great aunt once wrote a book exactly like it. Or listen to them name the fifty-two other authors that have written a similar story--only not.
Oh, and here's a little tip for attenders going to an author signing...the author doesn't really need to know exactly how and where your stint was placed. Just sayin'. Maybe think about sticking to the weather if you don't know what else to say, or here's a thought: step away from the table.
On the up side, my favorite thing about author fairs is the diversity of reading material, everything from kids books to self-help. Plus, it's gratifying to purchase a book from an author that you know can use the money. Google author fairs in your area and see if you've got any coming up in your neighborhood. Christmas is just around the corner, and what a fantastic way to support local business.
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I have never known about an author fair. I think I would love it - in a really good way, as in probably buying every book there. LOL. Oh yes, those candy snatchers bug me. That's when you quietly put the candy away so they get the hint. I love to hear what writers think and would have loved to listen to you. ;)
God bless your time, efforts, and sense of humor doing this :) Glad you sold 4 books and praying you sell MANY more (in person and online)! I would never be hesitant approaching a book fair/author's table, but i guess some people are unsure of what to say or are just curious. i don't see writers as nerds at all or i would say they're the BEST type of nerds :) Thanks for posting this, wish i could've been there to laugh with you and help guard the candy :)
Oh my goodness I LOVE my readers! You guys are the best. I wish you could've been there as well, Susan & Kara. Wouldn't that have been a hoot and a half?!
The best approach I like is where the author doesn't sit behind the table. It even intimidates me because you feel obligated to buy. But if you're on the front side, or even a few feet away, greeting people and offering book marks in a casual way without engaging in conversation, they're more likely to stop back by. That's all from observation.
We get involved in the Arts in the Park in our town all the time. The artists who do the best are the ones who sit in the rear of the tent, almost unnoticed. Either that or the ones who are creating their art for people to watch.
I suppose you could sit there with a pad and pencil, Michelle. lol
Hey, that gives me an idea. I could sit by the chocolate bowl and eat myself into a delicious coma! Then maybe people would feel sorry for the glazed-eyed idiot and buy a book out of pity???
Yer too funny! Glad you sold a few books...praying you sell more. I would have totally stopped by your table, you did a great job setting it up. And I wouldn't have done it for the chocolate either, not a big fan of the Hershey's Kiss....peanut m&m's on the other hand....lol
Ahh....but these were ALMOND Kisses. That make a difference?
Did you ever think that the lady who was scarfing down the candy might be a starving author - your candy may have been the only meal she had in days.... You just might have been her only salvation...
Okay, yes, if they had almonds in them, I may have taken one or two. :)
Post a Comment