Writer.
What cartoon bubble just popped into your head? Did it involve a smoking jacket and a chaise lounge with maybe a side of bon bons? Or an avant garde jetsetter sporting round spectacles, carrying on blasé conversations in a lazy Paris street café?
Newsflash: a writer’s life is NOT that glamorous. It’s
pretty much wedging writing time into life with a tire iron. . . and a good
portion of that time is spent on marketing. Hence, the Heart Deceived
Anniversary Soiree.
Has this little venture increased sales? Beats me. Because
I’m not self-published, I don’t see the numbers. Oh, I will, eventually, but
honestly I have no way of knowing what marketing gimmick I try really pays off.
That’s why I pick and choose what I want to do—like this soiree—because if I’m
not having fun with it, then nobody will. The same holds true for writing.
If a writer isn’t having fun
with creating a story but is merely writing for the market to sell a book, then
the reader is going to pick up on it.
Trust me. I’ve read a few of those. Painful. The bottom line
is to enjoy what you do, whether that’s writing novels or slinging hamburgers
at McDonalds. It’s a choice. An attitude. Go out there today, little mongrels,
and stick your head out the window of life with your tongue hanging out.
SOIREE QUESTION OF THE DAY:
There's a famous Reverend in A Heart Deceived that tells Ethan, "God works powerfully, lad, but for the most part gradually and gently." What is that famous reverend's name? Hint: It's the same fella who wrote Amazing Grace.

7 comments:
Was it John Newton? Hope so.
Yay! Good job buddy!
Yep, that would be John Newton....you did a great job with the introduction between Reverend Newton and Ethan.
Bingo! Another winner!
I can answer this one b/c of your hint. ;) John Newton. I do love knowing who writes the hymns we sing!
What?! You DON'T eat bon bons and chocolate all day long while you think of fun stories?! I do feel for you authors who are put on pedestals and expected to fulfill a readers dreams. Do what you love!
Rev. John Newton. Did you research his personality as well? Was he like how you wrote him? Just curious...
Sorry to burst your bubble, Susan.
And Lis, I didn't go heavily into Newton's personality. Call it author license.
Post a Comment