When I first started writing fiction, I totally didn't think about accuracy. I mean, come on, it's fiction for crying out loud! Aren't things supposed to be made up? Isn't that what fiction implies?
I suppose ignoring fact works for fantasy, but for historical fiction, you'll be crucified if you use an English gold sovereign in 1807 because they weren't actually minted until ten years later. Some of you may be asking "Seriously? Who cares?"
Answer: historical readers, that's who.
There's just no getting around it. Research is key, whether you pen contemporary or way-back-when tales. Why? Because it's jolting to a reader when they come across something they know for a fact and see it misrepresented.
So writers, do your homework. Don't let it cripple you, though. You can't be 100% perfect down to the last detail. I'm just saying try to stay as true to the period you write in as possible.
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
This title drew me right in. Yes, we have to research thoroughly as historical writers. At the same time (esp. writing about VIKINGS, ahem), we have some lee-way since we don't have all the documented facts. We have to make deductions on how they did things/talked based on the facts we have. And in the end, a great book trumps the occasional anachronism--though it does draw the reader out of the story for a while.
Yep. Story is still king, but a king is often ruled by the persuasive queen research, eh?
I be doing the "Yes, I know Flagstaff wasn't settled until blahblahblah", but I can do the author's notes thing with that. But ohhhhh, you'd be STUNNED how had it is to get one single Navajo name right!!! No animals, no this, no that...and one cannot upset the apple cart on someone's culture and history. Not as easy as I thought, but still, quite alot of fun!
You nailed it. It ISN'T easy, but yes, a lot of fun!
As a fairly recent reader of historical fiction, I appreciate all the hard work authors do to make sure their novels are accurate. You make history come alive through your writing and make it exciting to read!
Awww, thanks little cowgirl!
Preach it!! I hate to read historical fiction with obvious fact errors. It ruins the read. It also insults the reader to be honest. Think about it. The writer didn't think you'd notice?? ;o)
Post a Comment